Monday, April 03, 2006

Spontaneous Reflection

I was in Sainsbury’s this weekend doing my grocery shopping. Whilst I was queueing up at the checkout a young boy, about 9 year old, was in front of me. He had a few lemons in his hands. The checkout staff started chatting to the boy and asked him what he is going to do with the lemons. The boy answered, "I'm learning to be a juggler. Shall I show you?" The checkout staff answered, "Sure, let’s see it!" The boy took three lemons and started juggling. Seeing this I had to smile, it was not your everyday scene. I looked around and saw that all eyes were on him. Other customers in the queue and checkout staff turned to look and they all had a smile on their face. It was nice to see how an innocent boy with his spontaneity could brighten and lighten the atmosphere in the supermarket.

I went home to look up the word 'Spontaneous' and found the meaning was - a process that occurs without external influence or excitement. It seems that spontaneity is a natural process. Children still hold this state of mind because of their innocence and openness to life. As we grow into adolescence and adulthood we somehow lose the ability to live life as new each moment. We put a lot of energy into analysing situations and give so much importance to what others might think, stopping us from opening our hearts and being spontaneous in life.

So, let me live again!

No comments: