Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Go on - make your day!

I was walking in Central London yesterday and was running late for an appointment. Whilst standing at the traffic light waiting for the 'little green man' to alight, I saw a well-dressed elderly lady on the other side of the road who seemed a little lost. Many people hurrily walked pass her when she approached them including a tall gentleman who had his hand up to indicate he didn't have time for her. However, I continued to watch her maintain the same smile on her face unaffected by the responses of the people (that's what I call wisdom).

When the 'little green man' came alight, I started crossing the road and met her at the side of the road. Our eyes met and there was no way I could have pretended not to see her. She then asked me with a warm and gentle voice whether I knew the way to British Museum. I explained briefly to her how to get there and the roads she needed to look out for. She then thanked me and I felt such genuine gratefulness in her voice. She made my day. As it turned out, the person whom I was meeting was running late anyway. At least I had a good excuse for being late.

Sometimes I feel I get so caught up in my own affairs and wrapped up in my own little world that I become self-centred, which eventually stops my 'heart' from growing and sharing. So, why can't we stop for a few moments to say hi and acknowledge another human being with a genuine smile - wouldn't it make your day?

No comments: