Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Every little counts...

A friend whom I briefly met at university 10 years ago was in contact last month. We lost contact after his return to his home country. Both him and his wife have been tracking me down for a while. We weren't exactly close during our uni days but we hung out because we had mutual group of friends and one of my friends were his then-girlfriend-now-wife. So, it was one of those friendship which could have easily fizzled out with time.

Anyway, we met up last month for a cup of coffee and tried to compress our life story of the past 10 years in an hour. He shared news of his wife and his cute little son. During our conversation, he asked me whether I knew why he still remembered me after such a long time and I answered no. He went on to explain that I was the only one who called him and his wife when they left the UK for his home country and that left an impression on him. Funny thing is, on my side I had no recollection of this - I don't remember no phone calls or bidding them farewell before they left.

When thinking about this later on, I was amazed how something so small left such impact on him. So, our every little gesture - no matter how small they are will always leave an imprint in people's heart. One sincere act or thought goes a long way - it might even change the course of someone's life forever.

No comments: