Monday, February 13, 2006

Every little thing counts

This morning at 7am when I parked my car in Covent Garden there was a homeless guy, let’s call him Steve, sleeping on the pavement next to the parking meter. I did not give Steve any further thought.

As 8.30am drew near I walked back to my car to pay for parking (free parking ends at 8:30am in central London!) When I approached the car Steve was wide awake and sitting up straight. He greeted me in a strong and blaring voice with “Good morning!” I responded with a barely audible “Hi” and a smile, and continued to sort out paying for parking until 9.01am.

Running late, as usual (!) I arrived back at the car at 9.05am. There were two traffic wardens near my car. If you drive in central London at all you will be aware that there are quite a number of traffic wardens around! I very luckily escaped the ordeal of being handed a parking fine thanks to Steve! When I arrived at my car Steve was arguing with the traffic wardens on my behalf and telling them that they shouldn’t be issuing me with a parking fine as he saw me putting money in the parking meter earlier on. The traffic wardens were so caught up in justifying their position to Steve that I was given the window to drive hurriedly off before they got around to issuing me with a parking ticket. As I drove off I thought to myself, why would someone like Steve extend his help to someone like me? He has such a generous heart.

What trigger such a generous heart? Is it because I returned his greeting and acknowledged his presence?I realised that life presents many little gifts and many little opportunities to share these little gifts. However, am I too caught up in my little “world” to expand my heart to catch those gifts and share them?

No comments: