Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Lessons learnt from blogging...

I first heard about blogging when it became popular just after the millennium. Being someone who guards my privacy I was always reluctant "to blog". Curiosity won though and I thought let me investigate this phenomenon called blogging. I wanted to understand its' appeal, why do hundreds and thousands of people pour their feelings, opinions and knowledge out to the Whole Wide World (in this case World Wide Web). Initially I found it hard to put words together as I have not had to construct proper sentences since creative writing in high school. I can write reports with facts and figures, but when it comes to writing about thought processes and feelings... to transcribe my thoughts and feelings into words is challenging for me. I admire those to whom writing come so naturally and who are able to express themselves so well.

Anyway, I'm writing this because I have come to enjoy blogging. Since I started blogging I have learnt to look at my surroundings in more detail - trying to connect the dots in life and make sense of my world and the world outside. I can't say that writing comes naturally to me now but I can say it is easier than before. There are still days when I suffer from writer's block, not because I of not having anything to write about but because of not being able to find the right words to describe my thoughts and feelings.

Looking back to 15 years ago when I used to keep a diary and ensure that it was locked so that no one would be able to read my feelings (my mum still manage to find the key to unlock the diary!) how this has changed. Now one just wants to tell the whole world what one thinks and what one feels.

So what lessons have I learnt from blogging?

1. I don't need to like what I do to begin with, I can learn to like what I do.
2. I don't need to be an expert before doing anything because I will become an expert after doing it enough times.
3. Do not be afraid of the unknown because the unknown is there for us to discover.

No comments: