Monday, July 17, 2006

Superman in us...

The man of steel is back on our screen and yes, it's a bird, it's a plane, no it's Superman!

I grew up watching Superman and dreamt of being Superman himself. When I was younger I easily distinguished between reality and dreams and I always had fun playing any of the characters I dreamt I would like to be I dreamt of hanging off helicopters, deceiving my so-called-enemies and dodging bullets whilst trying to save the world from aliens or evil people. Probably 'some' Hollywood influence here!

Seeing 'Superman Returns' I found myself reliving these childhood dreams again - to save the world! Growing up as a kid, the world seemed black and white to me. You have the good guys on one side and the bad guys on the other. As you enter the adult world of complications, of worries, of too much thinking, somehow the black and white gets all muddled up...

There are many Lex Luthor(s) in the world - one day it could be my boss, the next day my colleague, another day my husband and another time the tube. There are no good or bad in Lex Luthor. The many Lex Luthor(s) who come my way actually come to give me opportunities to learn, to grow and to move me away from my comfort zones. I might not be able to see the bigger picture at that time, when I have had the faith that there is definitely benefit in whatever is happening this has allowed me to grow.

We also carry around with us the 'cryptonites' of negativities, worries, fears and past hurts which deplete our energy and capability to be our very best and eat away at our inner strength.

I truly believe there is a 'Superman' deep within each one of us - we are all born to be 'Superman(s)'. Deep down within all of us there is such goodness, but somewhere back down the line we picked up the wrong beliefs, were taught the wrong values and learnt to accept myths as truth. Even after all that, each of us is still trying to be our very best. I have come to discover that it is I and not anyone or anything else that is the stumbling block to me being the Superman I was born to be - anything else is just an excuse. In my experience, it is much easier to give excuses than to actually make the effort to change, but doing this has led me nowhere and just kept me within my comfort zone.

I sometimes find myself still holding on to my comfort zones dearly - unwilling to let them go, finding comfort in them. However, I know this has to change as I know that I will never be totally happy without personal growth and facing up to new challenges....so here is to biting that bullet and moving forward!!!

No comments: