Monday, July 17, 2006

Metabolism


Exercise is good - it is said to boost metabolism and help our digestive system. However, if we are out of shape it is no good to start running a marathon straight away, without any preparation. Yes, we all know that. However, recent events prompted me to think whether I was giving the same consideration to the 'spiritual digestive system'.

I have a friend who constantly calls me to complain about the same problem - anxiety, nervousness, stress. No matter how much time I spend sharing with her what I do to have a life which is (almost) free from stress, or suggesting mental and physical exercises to try, she inevitably calls me back with the same problem in a couple of weeks later. I started to feel a bit annoyed -- it was as if all the time I had spent talking things over with her was completely in vain. Never mind, I told myself, I should not have any expectations about changing others if they don't want to (although I do believe she really wants to).

That made me wonder if what I was giving her was too much for her 'spiritual digestive system' - akin to asking someone who has not been exercising at all to go and run a marathon... Should I break it down into smaller chunks, I wondered? Is her metabolism not quite there yet? I decided to run a test: to have a brighter chat, to lighten up my tone and to get rid of my subtle expectation that she would later call me back and tell me she was feeling better.

I thought: "Just accept this friend as she is and give love". So the last time we talked I did not begin to advise or suggest any tips. Instead, mentally I began to send her lots of good wishes and pure feelings for her to find her own path. My words were cool and comforting, but weren't many. Then yesterday she called me to let me know that she was feeling better, although she had not done anything I had recommended! Now she felt ready, it is as if she had just started walking on the treadmill. Maybe one day she will be ready to run the marathon -- in her own time, not in mine!

No comments: