Thursday, October 05, 2006

Challenge My Beliefs

A few friends recently caught me taking on board other peoples negative beliefs into my life. Ooops! It made me stop and take stock - and I found it quite revealing.

It's very easy to slip into, it can come from just saying, "yes that's true", (notice how often we do this?).

On this occasion someone had come up with a probable theory, but it was still "a theory". Somewhere along the way I had bought into this idea(unconsciously)I must have thought: well they know what they are talking about. They are a trusted source and I have a lot of respect for this person so "it must be true". As I reacted to the thoughts about an event that will be happening in the future the impact of this belief left me feeling bad. (A strong sign of a negative belief at work!). Seeing myself go through this, reminded me of walking on the cracks in the pavement when I was a child. Remember this one? If I do this ......this will happen.......(depending on what I thought sometimes it felt good, sometimes bad.)

This uncomfortable feeling really made me look within myself and ask, "Will I be there for me to face whatever challenges come up in my life in the future? Will I see them as learning opportunities to move on and grow through or will I be scared?" From the heart I said: Yes, I will be there for myself! It's the only thing I can do! As I gave this more thought, I could see and feel the fear drop away from me. This love and commitment towards myself was like a balm, if I hadn't examined that belief it would still be at work today and causing me mischief.

I recognised whatever beliefs I have, at some point in time I will face its' truth or falsehood. If the belief is true I will feel good, if there is any sense of fear and I feel bad it's false!

No comments: