Tuesday, June 27, 2006

In Prison 2

My flatmate locked me IN our apartment today. I mean, how can this happen? It can. It did. It reminded me of my visit to the prison the other day -- only a few hours deprived of freedom and it can be a scary thing (especially if it means missing a few work meetings). To explain the reason for my absence to colleagues would sound worse than the famous "the-dog-ate-my-homework" excuse. Luckily meditation has taught me not to get affected by these unpredictable 'surprises' in life. So I sat down, read a beautiful text… and fell asleep.

I dreamt that I was in prison and there was no way to get out. This prison had no bars, no doors and no other inmates. It was like a shadow that accompanied me wherever I went, chasing me like a ghost. A constant and invisible fear. I began to run -- but I could not escape this claustrophobic sensation. Breathless, I stopped and sat down... and then it was as if something within me was being cooled down, as if an angel had placed its invisible wings around me, protecting me and allowing my mind to become quiet and still... until I was able to experience a nice, warm, comforting sensation in the form of a wave of light. I actually felt I was pure light. Weightless and sparkling, light and free... no longer trapped, no longer trying to escape. I was being lifted from ordinary fear into a sphere of absolute beauty. Floating like a star in a golden sky. The experience was so beautiful I woke up in bliss!

I learnt two lessons: (1) I hold the key to freedom -- I just need to remember it and (2) I don't hold an extra key to my flat -- so I definitely need to remember that!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey ya!!! that was a good one!! if only my flatmate gave me all that teaching....