Thursday, June 15, 2006

Open offices

I at least do not work in a 'cubicle', though I work in a small open office. There are many advantages of open offices and I do believe they can facilitate communication. How often do they really though? Yes, you get to hear everything your neighbour is saying, but does that actually bring people closer to each other? Real communication comes from being open and from truly listening, without any criticism or judgement. In an office environment we tend to be too concerned about being politically correct and fear exposing ourselves by talking about who we deeply and spiritually are. Hence, we are no longer genuine. We also lose the ability to inspire, because we sort of “blend into the wallpaper”, we say what we are expected to say and do what everyone else does. What a boring life!

Out of curiosity I was asking a colleague about her children: ages, names, etc. She immediately stopped after a while and started asking me personal questions as if to say, "I disclose a bit, now you disclose a bit" so that then we are both "equally vulnerable" to each other. This seems to be quite a fearful state of mind to be in! I caught myself thinking sometime after this "I wonder what she'll do with this information", but this thought is also a facet of fear.

So I have decided to step out - not out of the open office, but out from the 'closed life'. I have decided there is plenty within me that is beautiful, colourful and special (also within everyone else!) and so why not share it? Sharing is about living from that space of inner beauty, inner peace and inner joy. To live from that open space inside where there is no fear of others’ opinions or intrusions, but where others are welcome and can therefore feel they belong. It is about a way of being which inspires others to open up to their own uniqueness. It isn’t about being vulnerable but rather about not being afraid of being genuine. I am trying it, how about you?

No comments: