Monday, June 26, 2006

Rough edges smoothed out

I was recently presenting some new ideas to a group of people in a work situation and came up against some resistance. It's at times like this we can create friction just with our imagination and we wonder: "What are they thinking?....." and then we get tense. If I look at it from another angle though, which says....."It's OK" whatever their reaction is. However they react is completely valid and they need to know that I respect their opinions. I need to do this in order for this moment to move on and for "us" not to get stuck.

I was reflecting on the experience with a friend and my friend had something very special to share about this: "each of us needs consoling", not in a yucky kind of way but in a way that says - yes, you have a point - I can see that, I can understand it (from your perspective). I need to learn to let go of my ego defences, to keep my heart open and let them know, "yes it can be like that can't it, and what about this.....?" It feels so much better than someone saying, "No, it's like this...."

No comments: